In 1993-94, the Richmond Alumnae Chapter inaugurated a scholarship, having received a donation of money from female students at Virginia Commonwealth University who had labored valiantly, but unsuccessfully, to establish a chapter there. The scholarship is awarded annually to a female music major at VCU based on an audition. Winners of this scholarship are listed elsewhere in this yearbook.
Past scholarship winners include:
- So Young Kim, piano (1993-94)
- Melissa Leppones, flute (1994-95)
- Keom-soon (Kelly) Lee, cello (1995-96)
- Rachel Lumsden, flute (1996-97)
- Gretchen Peery, piano (1997-98)
- Gretchen Peery, piano (1998-99)
- Eunice Sunyoung Kim, piano (1999-00)
- Nicole Loughner, flute (2000-01)
- Littisha Green, voice (2001-02)
- Kimberly Ryan, violin (2002-03)
- Helen Hou, piano (2003-04)
- Morgan Hyde, mallet percussionist (2004-05)
- Mi Yeon Choi, piano (2005-06)
- Kathleen Winters, flute (2006-07)
- Althea Chan, piano (2007-08)
- Anna Maple, voice (2008-09)
- Melanie Libbey, flute (2009-2010)
- Melanie Libbey, flute (2010-2011)
In 1995-96, the chapter initiated an on-going project in which used music, books and tapes are collected and sent to a music library in Asuncion, Paraguay as part of the People-to-People Project of SAI.
Gellman Room concerts
In 1996-97, the chapter participated in the Richmond Public Library Gellman Room concert series. This fall event has become an annual tradition and contributes to the SAI goal of promoting American music.
Instrument Petting Zoos
In 2010-2011, the chapter assisted the Richmond Symphony Orchestra education/outreach program with their Lollypops series by providing assistance with their pre-concert instrument petting zoos. We were fortunate to have chapter members from Longwood University and Old Dominion University to help provide more manpower. The chapter plans to continue to support the Richmond Symphony in this fashion in the future.